WHAT WE DO
Ellie’s Hats donates hats to children battling cancer and much more. We send children a special package, which we call a “Hero Package”, of hats and gift cards and. As we learn more about a family’s needs, we try to help them in anyway we can. This could mean donating gift cards or making a financial donation to help with costs from having a child battling cancer.
We also support these programs
- The “Hero Bag” Program at Inova Children’s Hospital and Tufts Medical Center (A special bag is given to every newly admitted pediatric cancer patient)
- Monthly Dinners at Inova Children’s Hospital
- We supply the food and drinks for the nourishment room and the PSV Clinic in Falls Church
- We donated $10,000 to The Pediatric Oncology Family Support Fund in 2016
- We donated $10,000 to Novant Hemby Children’s Hospital in 2016 to help them remodel their treatment room.
We know that awareness is extremely important so we do what we can to raise awareness of childhood cancer.
- We led the effort to get the Cure Childhood Cancer License Plate for Virginia
The Inspiration: Ellie
Ellie was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia in the spring of 2013. By the time she entered kindergarten, that fall, she had lost most of her hair so she was wearing hats to school everyday. The hats allowed Ellie to express her personality. Even as a baby, Ellie loved to wear hats so wearing them during her treatment wasn’t much of a change. The first year was difficult for Ellie, but she always tried to put on a brave face. Ellie finished treatment in July 2015 and is now having her blood tested every month. Ellie played soccer this past spring and continues to improve.
The Founder: Jay
Ellie was not yet in kindergarten when her family learned she had cancer. The subsequent treatments resulted in Ellie losing her hair. Ellie started kindergarten that fall at Woodburn Elementary School in Falls Church and her teacher, Jay Coakley, noticed her affinity for “fun and cheery hats”. Jay organized a hat drive to provide Ellie with a broader selection of hats to wear and Ellie’s Hats was born! By utilizing the power of social media, Jay spread the word about Ellie’s Hats. Thanks to the hard work of the individuals who, like Jay, took an interest in Ellie and her hats, thousands of kids across the country have received new hats.